Associate’s Degree in Diagnostic Medical Sonography
In our Diagnostic Medical Sonography (DMS) degree program, you can learn to harness the power of technology and gain the skills it takes to find a challenging and rewarding new career. Today’s healthcare professionals rely on high-tech equipment to diagnose and treat patients effectively.
- Can be completed in 24 months
- Consists of hands-on instruction from experienced professionals
- Offers flexible scheduling. Day and evening classes available
- A set of required materials and textbooks are provided at no additional cost
- Externship that allows you to apply learned skills and competencies
- Eligible to sit for the national certification exam
Why Southern Technical College:
- Day and evening classes available
- Small class sizes
- Faculty of industry professionals
- Resume building and interviewing prep
- Financial aid available to those who qualify
Diagnostic Medical Sonography Curriculum Overview
Southern Technical College’s Diagnostic Medical Sonography program is designed to prepare competent entry-level general sonographers in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains. The structure of the program includes didactic and classroom theory with laboratory experiences and clinical externship to provide a balance of interesting and informative experiences to mold a well-prepared Diagnostic Medical Sonographer. Sonography courses in this program provide a foundation in sonography and include a variety of sonography techniques, such as ultrasound instrumentation, gynecologic sonography, and embryonic and fetal sonography. The Diagnostic Medical Sonography program requires eight terms to complete. Graduates of the program will earn an Associate of Science Degree in Diagnostic Medical Sonography.
Is a Career as a Diagnostic Medical Sonographer Right for You?
This fun, online quiz takes 3 minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get Your Diagnostic Medical Sonography Career Training Readiness Score Now.
The Diagnostic Sonographer should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the protocols, policies and procedures of the ultrasound laboratory.
- Recognize the normal sonography appearance of structures of the abdomen, the gravid and non-gravid pelvis and associated vasculature.
- Identify and evaluate gross anatomy and the anatomic relationships of structures of the abdominal and pelvic cavities in transverse, coronal, and sagittal planes.
- Perform measurements of sonography images and data.
- Apply basic concepts of acoustic physics.
- Demonstrate knowledge of principles of ultrasound instrumentation and operation.
- Recognize and identify the normal appearance and Doppler patterns of the structures of the abdomen, pelvis, peritoneal, and retroperitoneal structures.
- Recognize and identify disease processes and pathophysiologic findings.
- Recognize and identify normal and abnormal anatomic structures.
- Identify anatomic variants, normal and abnormal Doppler patterns.
Graduates of the DMS program at Southern Technical College may be eligible to take the national certification examination offered by the following entities:
If you’re considering earning your Associate’s Degree in Diagnostic Medical Sonography, it’s time to contact Southern Technical College.
The DMS Program at Southern Technical College, Tampa Campus is accredited by The Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Educational Programs (CAAHEP). Additional information regarding this institution may be obtained by contacting CAAHEP at 9355 113th St. N, #7709, Seminole, FL 33775 or www.caahep.org. The telephone number is (727) 210-2350. Additional information may also be obtained by contacting the Joint Review Commission on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRC-DMS) at 6021 University Boulevard Suite 500, Ellicott City, MD 21043 or www.jrcdms.org. The telephone number is (443) 973-3251.