Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I apply for admission?

Individuals seeking admission into the College are required to complete an Application for Admission and arrange to meet personally with an Admissions Representative who will guide them through the remainder of the admissions process.

Once the application and support materials are complete, the applicant may be given a placement assessment, depending on program selected, that is used by the College to assist with scheduling (transfer students may be exempt).

Q: Do I need a high school diploma for admission?

Applicants must be a high school graduate or have successfully completed equivalent education as certified by state departments of education (i.e., GED). Students attending will be required to provide proof of their high school diploma, GED, or equivalency at the time of enrollment.

Q: Will my previous credits transfer?

Students with college-level credits from other regionally or nationally accredited institutions may apply to have credits transferred into Southern Technical College. Students seeking transfer credits must have an official transcript of their prior work mailed directly to the College’s Registrar for consideration prior to beginning classes.

Q: I’m an international student, can I attend Southern Technical College?

Southern Technical College is authorized under federal law to enroll nonimmigrant students. In addition to the admissions requirements listed on the Admissions page, the following requirements apply to nonimmigrant students seeking admission to the College.

  1. Affidavit of financial support
  2. Demonstration of English language proficiency (TOEFL score of 500 or more) or equivalent
  3. Must meet all current INS requirements for issuance of a Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Students status. Please note that all documents must be originals or certified true copies of the original documents.

Once requirements are complete, applicants will receive a Form I-20 with an acceptance letter and instructions for obtaining a student visa. Please direct questions regarding completion of the admissions materials to the College’s Admissions Office.

The information above is subject to change at anytime. You are encouraged to call us to find out all the newest learning and career advancement opportunities available!

Q: Can I receive credit from previous education?

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) provides adult learners with an opportunity to receive college credit through demonstration of prior college-level learning. The program provides a standardized process for awarding academic credit for prior college-level learning through Proficiency Examinations such as CLEP or Challenge Exams, Placement Assessment, Transcript Evaluation, Certifications and Training, and the Prior Learning Portfolio.

The PLA process helps to determine if academic credit can be awarded for the learning associated with life experiences. Such learning experiences may be associated with work, military service, professional training, hobbies, recreational activities, and other meaningful activities. These learning experiences are evaluated for their equivalency to specific Southern Technical College courses and/or ability to satisfy institutional and degree requirements. The amount of credit which may be earned depends upon the scope and depth of the learning in each specific area. The Prior Learning Assessment Program is course-based, which means that credit may be earned for specific Southern Technical College courses as identified in the degree plan. Careful advising is required to assure that students do not duplicate any courses previously credited. This guidance will be provided by the Portfolio Instructor and the Program Managers. Please refer to the Tuition and Fees section for information on the costs associated with PLA.

Advanced Standing

Student’s time in residence may be shortened through Transfer Credit, Standardized Testing, Challenge Exams, or through Credit for Life Experience. The maximum amount of advanced standing credit, regardless of source, cannot exceed 62.5% of the total program length. Academic credit that is awarded through one of the following methods is not calculated in the student’s cumulative grade point average but is factored into the determination of the maximum time in which a program must be completed.

Transfer Credit – Students with earned college credit from another regionally or nationally accredited institution may apply to have those credits transferred into their program. Students seeking transfer credit must have an official transcript of their prior work mailed directly to the Registrar.

Standardized Testing – The College awards credit for the successful completion of College Level Examination Program (CLEP), ACT-PEP or DANTES subject testing as well as for other professional certification examinations that are recognized by the American Council of Education. Official test scores must be sent to the Registrar.

Challenge Exams – Challenge Exams are intended to give students with advanced knowledge and/or skills the opportunity to demonstrate their competency and receive academic credit. The College recommends that Challenge Exams be taken shortly after acceptance to help avoid scheduling conflicts. The College will allow up to 24 credit hours earned through Challenge Exams. Students wanting to take a Challenge Exam must first meet with a Financial Aid Officer to satisfy all financial requirements and then meet with the College Librarian to schedule the examination.

A specific Challenge Exam may be attempted only one time and a final score of 70% or higher is needed to earn academic credit for the course. Challenge Exams cannot be substituted for a course previously taken or for one in which the student is currently enrolled.

Compass Assessment – Entering students who score above a certain standard on the Compass Assessment have the opportunity to receive advanced standing credit and will be charged a fee equal to 25% of the current tuition for each course for which credit is granted. Students who choose to receive advanced standing credit from the Compass Assessment will be required to make payment in full, for those credits, on or before the end of their first full term of enrollment. Students unable or unwilling to make payment by that date will forfeit the opportunity and be scheduled for classes accordingly.

The information above is subject to change at anytime. You are encouraged to call us to find out all the newest learning and career advancement opportunities available!

Why Southern Tech?

At Southern Technical College we strive to provide an education that will prepare students to pursue successful careers and lead enriched lives.

Based on the current market demands, we seek to provide the most relevant knowledge to our students and strive to ensure that our technology, our curriculum and our faculty are in touch with today’s and tomorrow’s industry needs.

Financial Assistance Options

This is most often the scariest part of your decision to go to college, but don’t worry, our staff will walk you through the process step-by-step. Financial Aid is available to those who qualify.

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
  • William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program
  • Federal Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students
  • Veterans’ Benefits and Assistance

Career Training Readiness Quiz

This fun, online quiz takes 3-minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report which identifies your strengths and social style. Plus, you will discover the training and positions you’re best suited for.