CARES Act: Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund Report (HEERF)
Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students
August 11, 2020
Southern Technical College (OPE IDs: 02278800 and 03903500) received education stabilization funds under Section 18004(a)(1) of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (“CARES Act”), Public Law No: 116-136. This Fund Report applies to the student portion received under the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund that is designated exclusively for emergency financial aid grants to students. Southern Technical College operates three campuses in OPE ID 02278800 and four campuses in OPE ID 03903500 under Title IV regulations, and for the purposes of these emergency financial aid grants to students, has treated all students the same without regard to the particular campus attended.
The institution appreciates that Congress and the President have made these critical funds available for eligible students who have expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to the coronavirus pandemic. We take receipt of these federal funds seriously and are distributing them in accordance with the CARES Act and implementation guidance.
The institution is making the below information available for transparency purposes and in compliance with the U.S. Department of Education’s (“Department”) Electronic Announcement of May 6, 2020.1 For questions or concerns regarding this Fund Report, please contact Reid Allison, CEO, at email@example.com.
- The institution signed and returned to the Department the Certification and Agreement [for] Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students. The institution has used, or intends to use, no less than 50 percent of the funds received under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide emergency financial aid grants to students.
- The total amount of funds that the institution will receive or has received from the Department pursuant to the institution’s Certification and Agreement [for] Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students is $1,936,627 ($1,048,584 for 02278800 and $888,043 for 03903500).
- The total amount of emergency financial aid grants distributed to students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act as of the date of this Fund Report is $2,049,200 ($890,800 for 02278800 and $1,158,400 for 03903500).
- The estimated total number of students at the institution eligible to participate in programs under Section 484 in Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, and thus eligible to receive emergency financial aid grants under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act, is 2,283 (1,015 for 02278800 and 1,268 for 03903500).
- The total number of students who have received an emergency financial aid grant under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act as of the date of this Fund Report is 2,276 (1,014 for 02278800 and 1,262 for 03903500).
- The method used by the institution to determine which students receive emergency financial aid grants and how much they would receive under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act is:
- The institution decided that any student who met one of the following criteria was negatively impacted by Covid-19 and therefore eligible for emergency relief: Active on April 27, 2020; on a leave of absence on April 27, 2020, or withdrew after March 13, 2020 due to Covid related reasons.
- Students were required to complete the acknowledgment shown in Attachment A in order to receive funds.
- Students previously identified as Pell eligible were awarded $1,000. All other eligible students were awarded $300.
- Any instructions, directions, or guidance provided by the institution to students concerning the emergency financial aid grants are provided at Attachment A.