Earn an Associate’s Degree in Diagnostic Medical Sonography
In our Diagnostic Medical Sonography (DMS) program, you can learn to harness the power of technology and gain the skills it takes to find a challenging and rewarding new career. Today’s healthcare professionals rely on high-tech equipment to diagnose and treat patients effectively.
Southern Technical College’s Diagnostic Medical Sonography program is designed to prepare competent entry-level general sonographers in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains. The structure of the program includes didactic and classroom theory with laboratory experiences and clinical externship to provide a balance of interesting and informative experiences to mold a well-prepared Diagnostic Medical Sonographer. Sonography courses in this program provide a foundation in sonography and include a variety of sonography techniques, such as ultrasound instrumentation, gynecologic sonography, and embryonic and fetal sonography. The Diagnostic Medical Sonography program requires eight terms to complete. Graduates of the program will earn an Associate of Science Degree in Diagnostic Medical Sonography.
The Diagnostic Sonographer should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the protocols, policies and procedures of the ultrasound laboratory.
- Recognize the normal sonography appearance of structures of the abdomen, the gravid and non-gravid pelvis and associated vasculature.
- Identify and evaluate gross anatomy and the anatomic relationships of structures of the abdominal and pelvic cavities in transverse, coronal, and sagittal planes.
- Perform measurements of sonography images and data.
- Apply basic concepts of acoustic physics.
- Demonstrate knowledge of principles of ultrasound instrumentation and operation.
- Recognize and identify the normal appearance and Doppler patterns of the structures of the abdomen, pelvis, peritoneal, and retroperitoneal structures.
- Recognize and identify disease processes and pathophysiologic findings.
- Recognize and identify normal and abnormal anatomic structures.
- Identify anatomic variants, normal and abnormal Doppler patterns.
Graduates of the DMS program at Southern Technical College may be eligible to take the national certification examination offered by the following entities:
If you’re considering earning your Associate’s Degree in Diagnostic Medical Sonography, it’s time to contact Southern Technical College.
The DMS Program at Southern Technical College is not currently accredited by The Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Educational Programs (CAAHEP). Additional information regarding this institution may be obtained by contacting CAAHEP at 1361 Park Street, Clearwater, FL 33756 or www.caahep.org. The telephone number is (727) 210-2350. Additional information may also be obtained by contacting the Joint Review Commission on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRC-DMS) at 6021 University Boulevard Suite 500, Ellicott City, MD 21043 or www.jrcdms.org. The telephone number is (443) 973-3251.
Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program Disclosures
Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program Outcomes (Tampa Campus)