The Surgical Technician Externship Coordinator/Instructor is responsible for coordinating, facilitating and supervising the externship training and student transition from class work to externship site assignment and then to graduate in preparation for job placement. The Externship Coordinator’s primary responsibilities entail locating, maintaining and acquiring new externship sites and contracts and scheduling students’ externship assignments. The externship coordinator may also teach 1-2 courses per term.
Summary of essential job functions:
- Oversee the placement of students at externship sites to complete their training in our accredited programs that require externship hours for graduation.
- Select externship sites that are adequate in the size and scope of their operation to meet each program’s externship training needs,
- Conduct site visitations before and after students are sent for externship to evaluate site staff and the training opportunities.
- Coordinate student scheduling and meeting any site pre-requisites, such as drug testing, background checks or health screenings.
- Responsible for collecting and entering externship attendance records.
- Work in the community on a continual basis to evaluate new sites and obtain new site contracts.
- Manage all externship initiatives, and resolve student externship issues in a timely manner.
- Present Externship and Site Assignment orientation workshops.
- Ensure externship sites have been established, with a current fully executed contract (signed by the externship site and campus director), prior to any externship start date.
- Oversee the completion of student externship training, in compliance with accreditation requirements, company policy, and all related regulations.
- Facilitate the student transition from class work to externship to graduate in preparation for placement, by holding workshops, one on one coaching, seminars, and other student activities.
- Establish and maintain contact with local employers to obtain information on externship opportunities, develop and enhance working relationships, and to facilitate student placement.
- Locate and acquire new externship sites
- Track students’ externship attendance and ensure that all hours for externship assignments are completed, as determined by the program curriculum and any regulatory requirements.
- Work towards the permanent placement of students at their externship sites.
- Responsible for achieving weekly, monthly, and quarterly placement goals.
- Complete working knowledge of compliance with federal, state, accreditation, company, and any other regulatory agency policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree is required and at least 4 years’ experience as a Surgical Technician.
- Highly developed communication and networking skills in order to work efficiently with students and employer’s/externship sites
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail to be able to place students on externship and complete all required paperwork in a timely manner.
- Well-developed presentation and writing skills.
- Collegiate teaching experience is preferred but not necessary.